isCallable fails

tsbockman thomas.bockman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 03:40:40 UTC 2021

On Friday, 22 January 2021 at 03:08:23 UTC, frame wrote:
> It's like asking your mechanican if he can guess what's causing
> the weird sound in the car and he replies with: why didn't you
> disassemble your car already?

Cars are mass-produced copies of a relatively small number of
rather similar designs, and mechanics' customers *pay them* to
understand and fix their cars so that the customers don't have
to. By contrast, computer programs are tremendously more diverse
than car designs, you are not paying anyone here, and we
participate here to pass our skills and knowledge on to others,
not just to do their work for them.

Nevertheless, I will use your analogy:

     You: My car shakes when I turn left. What do you think is
wrong with it?

     Mechanic: Hard to say. Bring it in to the shop and I'll take
a look.

     You: It's a simple question! I shouldn't have to bring it in
to the shop.

     Mechanic: Fine. If it was my car, here's how I would go about
finding the problem... (Detailed explanation follows.) Do that,
and if you still can't tell what's wrong, come back and talk to
me again.

     You: That's too much work. This is ridiculous. It's a simple
question: just tell me what's wrong with my car!

     Mechanic: Why do you think I can diagnose the problem with
*even less information than you have*? If it's so simple, why do
you need help?

     You: Rude! I'm outa here...