wanting to try a GUI toolkit: needing some advice on which one to choose

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Jun 1 16:40:22 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 at 16:20:19 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> I don't really agree with this, most of the interesting things
> for specifying UIs are happening in
> web-frameworks/web-standards nowadays. But it doesn't matter...
>
> If I were to make a desktop application in D today then I would
> have chosen to either embed a browser-view and use that for
> interface, or electron. Not sure if has been mentioned already,
> but it is an option.

This is also my observation. Browser UI is on the way to take
over. Advantages are that they are easy to remote, meaning if you
have network connection you can run it on another device. Some
mobile phones have a "hidden" web UI if you connect to them using
a browser. Another advantage is that web UI scales well with
different resolutions and aspect ratios. You can also more easily
find people who have the knowledge making cool looking web
content, compared to people who know how to make custom UI in Qt
or C#.

Car infotainment systems often runs the graphics in a browser,
without many knowing about it. They work similar to FireFox OS,
you boot directly to the browser.