wanting to try a GUI toolkit: needing some advice on which one to choose

someone someone at somewhere.com
Tue Jun 1 23:42:58 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 at 23:16:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> I am of a similar mindset as you, when I use Linux I tend to go
> minimal WM and setup.

> It IS depressing how much resources editors use to reach the
> same fluidity as the editor I used on my Amiga in the 1980s
> (which used hardware registers for scrolling).

Amiga's ? I did have them all (insert REALLY BIG SMILE here) !

I never used anything like Workbench anymore -when I say Ubuntu
was snappy-as-hell and now remember what was like on the Amiga
... he. The Windows/Macs of the time seemed escaped out of
prehistory those days. Even the Atari was far better. But you
know what ? The IBM PC was the **serious** (laughing out loud)
way to go. Sad. I did learn a lesson what market forces implied
back at the time.

> Yes, but WebGL is basically the same as ES, WebAssembly
> containers... D is supposed to support those?

Didn't know. Thought it was a totally different story. Will look
it up.

>> Of course individually supporting the three main APIs is a
>> no-go, that's why I mentioned Vulkan, you say it is not
>> mature, it will mature. To me Vulkan is like Wayland, there's
>> no going back regardless whether you/we consider it has merits
>> or not.
>
> I don't know. Hardware vendors are eager to reach market with
> new hardware and will most likely continue to ship buggy
> drivers for the bleeding edge hardware? But we can always hope.
> :)

You have a point. The major bugs/annoyances are pretty soon
ironed out for the Windows platform and never reach the nixes in
parity. What we got was late, very late, often when two (or more)
newer product generations already reached the market and all eyes
are set on them and nobody cares supporting old hardware for 1%
niche market share of the nixes. Quite understandable by the way.
Nvidia/Broadcom being the worst when nix support comes to mind.

> Possibly. Yet, Skia release notes keep mentioning hardware
> related themes. I guess that could be your canary (wait until
> release notes no longer list hardware related issues).

Huh

> There is no such thing as 2D/3D anymore AFAIK? Shaders are
> fairly generic.

Bump.

> Skia is less work.

Have you actually used it within D for anything remotely
"serious" ? By serious I mean something not a casual/hobby
project, something that you must rely on.