Contributing CDF bindings to Deimos

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Fri Mar 26 04:01:08 UTC 2021

On Friday, 26 March 2021 at 00:50:36 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
> Nice one. I've used HDF5/NetCDF, will have to check out and see
> what CDF offers.

AFAIK CDF is much simpler than NetCDF.  If you do generate CDF
files and want other common tools to understand your data
structures, use the ISTP metadata scheme:

   https://spdf.gsfc.nasa.gov/istp_guide/istp_guide.html

Since deimos.cdf just provides C bindings and type safety, a
higher level module would be nicer.  Currently, the most natural
interface to CDF files that I've used is the spacepy.pycdf python
package.