Looking to get typeof parseXML return value

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Tue Sep 7 04:13:08 UTC 2021

Hi D

I'm using the **dxml** library since I like it's "pull here  for
more data" mentality.  I've come across the need to save an
entity range created by the `parseXML` function as a class member
so that I can tuck it away and pull more data as needed.

Like almost all new users to D I'm tripping over how to save and
pass around variables since nothing has an understandable type
anymore and you can't use "auto" for *class member* storage types.

Any ideas on how to get the return type of `parseXML` below:
```
import dxml.parser;

const(char)[] _mmfile;
//_mmfile initialization

TYPE??? _entityRng = parseXML!(simpleXML)(_mmfile);
```
*before* calling parseXML, so that it can be a class member
variable?

I've tried variations on `typeof` and `.inputRangeObject` etc.
with no success so far.

Thanks for any advice :)

All this would be so much easier if dxml just defined `Entity` at
the top level of the parser module instead of burying it inside a
templated struct.  Then the type could just be
`InputRange!Entity` which is easy to work with.