Google Code Jam 2022

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Fri May 6 08:25:34 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 07:05:35 UTC, zjh wrote:
> For example, I think `d` can also make use of `'winrt'`, which
> is very important for `GUI` programming . `D` officials should
> pay attention to `it`.
>
> I have downloaded `dwinrt` and has many compilation errors!

Regularly introducing compatibility breaking changes in the
language and effectively pulling the rug from under the
developer's feet can make maintaining a medium or large project
rather expensive. And I guess, a lot of people hesitate to use D
language in production because of this reason. The old code
bitrots and stops compiling. Not everyone is ready to pay this
tax. Long term maintenance is just much cheaper when using the
other programming languages.

But again, programming competitions are all about just writing
quick and dirty disposable code. If my solution submitted in a
programming contest is going to stop compiling by a future
version of the compiler, then I couldn't care less. So one of the
major D language disadvantages has no real impact on its
suitability for programming competitions. At least in theory. But
maybe I'm missing something?