What are (were) the most difficult parts of D?

eugene dee0xeed at gmail.com
Sat May 14 14:51:07 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 05:41:35 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> What are you stuck at? What was the most difficult features to
> understand? etc.

Garbage collection.

I am not programming languages theorist at at, but my imression
is:

* GC came from purely functional languages where everything is
immutable
* GC in Haskel (for ex.) seems very natural and even absolutely
necessary
* GC is some kind of fashion and languages inventors try to put
it to everywhere (golang)

> To make it more meaningful, what is your experience with other
> languages?

GC looks very strange in C/C++ (done right, yeah) successor.