What are (were) the most difficult parts of D?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sat May 14 15:04:55 UTC 2022

On 15/05/2022 2:51 AM, eugene wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 05:41:35 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>> What are you stuck at? What was the most difficult features to
>> understand? etc.
>
> Garbage collection.
>
> I am not programming languages theorist at at, but my imression is:
>
> * GC came from purely functional languages where everything is immutable
> * GC in Haskel (for ex.) seems very natural and even absolutely necessary
> * GC is some kind of fashion and languages inventors try to put it to
> everywhere (golang)

Garbage Collectors solve some really hard problems in regards to memory
management.

Some high performance data structures require it for memory reclamation
and there is no alternative to it.

It is a very good base line for memory management when you do not care
about its life time.

The more I have studied memory allocators & management strategies the
more I wish I could go back to just relying on the GC and being naive.
They really are amazing for most programs.

And in case anyone is interested, a book recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/Garbage-Collection-Handbook-Management-Algorithms/dp/1420082795