What are (were) the most difficult parts of D?

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Sun May 22 18:06:29 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 05:41:35 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> What are you stuck at? What was the most difficult features to
> understand? etc.
>
> To make it more meaningful, what is your experience with other
> languages?
>
> Ali

Hi Ali, thanks for asking.

Coming from C background I had problems with voldemort types.  I
kept wanting to know the storage type for items so that I could
use it in interfaces, but that's not as big a deal anymore.

Currently my problem is integration into common tool chains in a
Linux environment.  On Linux the common development tools are
built around gcc & gdb.  The common package managers are apt and
dnf.  Right now I can't compile vibe.d using gdc, and I can't
`apt install vibe-d`  So I'd say lack of Linux integration is my
most difficult problem using D.

I'd certainly contribute to a fund that focused on D Linux
usability, namely:

   1. Supporting gdc development and distribution.
   2. Testing common packages against gdc
   3. Updating dub so that it could assist with creating deb and
yum packages
   4. Having a standard GUI library (maybe).

These days the language itself is not so much of a concern.  The
development days for D2 are long over.  What exists is excellent.
  I think the central focus should on libraries and integration
with larger ecosystems.