What are (were) the most difficult parts of D?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sun May 22 19:01:41 UTC 2022

On 23/05/2022 6:06 AM, Chris Piker wrote:
>    1. Supporting gdc development and distribution.

Iain's workload should be decreasing now that it is using the up to date
frontend. Rather than the older C++ version with backports that he has
been maintaining.

My understanding is that he is fine as-is, and there isn't anything
pressing on that front he needs help with.

>    2. Testing common packages against gdc

Why?

The few things specific to GDC is stuff like inline assembly or targets
that are either unsupported or not well supported.

>    3. Updating dub so that it could assist with creating deb and yum
> packages

Packaging is something dub doesn't do right now, it is something that
would be very nice to have.

>    4. Having a standard GUI library (maybe).

If you have the many tens of millions to build it, sure.

There is a big difference between acceptable as third-party and good
enough for standard library.