What are (were) the most difficult parts of D?

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Sun May 22 19:24:16 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 22 May 2022 at 19:01:41 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

> On 23/05/2022 6:06 AM, Chris Piker wrote:
> Iain's workload should be decreasing now that it is using the
> up to date frontend. Rather than the older C++ version with
> backports that he has been maintaining.

Hats off to Iain for sure.  Wish I had the resources to pay for
his work, would certainly do so.

>>    2. Testing common packages against gdc
>
> Why?

Mostly because I've put in about 15 hours effort so far trying to
get a vibe.d based project to build using gdc, with no success.
I'm about to give up and declare either gdc or vibe.d unsuitable
for use in a large upcoming project.  That's too bad really
because D only has any credibility at all in my work group due to
the existence of gdc, and vibe.d is a nice platform to build on.

>>    3. Updating dub so that it could assist with creating deb
>> and yum packages
>
> Packaging is something dub doesn't do right now, it is
> something that would be very nice to have.

For this item, if there was just a "dub install --prefix=" type
command it would be good enough.  Let the packaging tools take
over from there and scoop-up the output.

>>    4. Having a standard GUI library (maybe).
>
> If you have the many tens of millions to build it, sure.

Ah, if only.  Let me check the couch cushions, should be a trust
fund hiding in there somewhere ;)