How to get serve-d to find dub dependencies

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 14:09:40 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 23 December 2023 at 16:28:28 UTC, Renato wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 December 2023 at 16:13:01 UTC, Renato wrote:
>> I am trying to use dependencies, so I need dub.
>>
>> On emacs, the imports from dub libraries cannot be found, even
>> though dub can build it fine.
>>
>> How can I get emacs/serve-d to "see" the libraries added by
>> dub?
>>
>> I found that dub has a command for letting the compiler know
>> about the load paths:
>>
>> ```
>> dub describe --data=import-paths
>> ```
>>
>> This shows the correct paths for the project, so perhaps I can
>> pass this to serve-d somehow?
>
> I've managed to kind of hack it by adding the paths to my
> `.dir-locals.el`:
>
> ```
> ((nil . ((indent-tabs-mode . nil)
>          (tab-width . 4)))
>  (d-mode . ((compile-command . "dmd -L-ld_classic -run")
>             (eglot-workspace-configuration . (:importPath
> ("/Users/renato/.dub/packages/console-colors/1.1.1/console-colors/source/"))))))
> ```
>
> Far from ideal but this makes it half work... it actually shows
> the definitions in the library now and I can even navigate to
> the source, but still for some reason the import is shown as an
> error:
>
> ```
> Expected 'consolecolors.d' or 'consolecolors/package.d' in one
> of the following import paths:
> ```
>
> I believe that's because this is coming from d-mode, not
> serve-d (as serve-d actually "sees" it now)?!
>
> Anyway, would love to know how to get serve-d to automatically
> detect dub libs.

dub recently changed how it stores packages. serve-d uses dub as
a library to figure this out, so if the dub version serve-d is
linked against does not match the version of dub you use to
install/build, then it won't find the library includes.

Check your version of dub against the version of dub serve-d is
building against.

> Does the VS Code do that? If it does, this should work also on
> emacs.

VS Code has a similar problem if you have a mismatch. The
solution is to use the beta/nightly release channel of serve-d if
you have a recent compiler.

I will note there are some packages that serve-d just can't
figure out for imports, because the configuration is done via
dflags.

-Steve