Solving optimization problems with D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Jan 4 01:01:06 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 3 January 2023 at 21:13:55 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 January 2023 at 21:11:06 UTC, Ogi wrote:
>> I’ve read this [series if
>> articles](https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/decision-modeling-and-optimization-in-game-design-part-1-introduction) about using Excel Solver for all kinds of optimization problems. This is very neat, but of course, I would prefer to write models with code instead, preferably in D. I glanced at mir-optim but it requires knowledge of advanced math. Is there something more approachable for a layperson?
>
> Maybe mir-optim and dopt are the only options.
> You can check JuMP (Julia package and resources). Maybe port
> some of them to D will be the start of new optim solver
> package. But in general behind the optimisation problems always
> lying math..

I have a wrapper for the R optimization libraries somewhere. It
lets you call the same C libraries underlying R's optim, with the
option to choose the algorithm. Haven't used it in a while, but
as I recall it was pretty easy to use. I probably also wrapped
some of the third-party R optimization libraries at some point.