Vibe.d serve files from filesystem

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 08:15:52 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 18:56:47 UTC, eXodiquas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I build a web tool that allows people to upload some files.
> Those files should not be public, so I copy them into a folder
> hidden away on the filesystem. But, I want an authenticated
> user to be able to look at them. Those files are PDFs and
> mp3/4s. So my idea was to use an `iframe` with a
> `src="path/to/file"` but this is not working, because vibed
> wants to map it to a route but there is and there should be
> none. Is there a way to use iframes in this way, or do I need
> to approach this problem differently?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> eXo

You will probably need to write a custom route handler that
handles some authentication and returns files in response to a
user.

Since vibe.d routes handled in order you will need to add such
route before generic '*' route.

Take a look at this example
https://vibed.org/docs#http-routing

You can probably just write a handler like addUser for
router.get('*', serveMyFiles) and write your own file handling
logic.

```d
// PSEUDOCODE

// use this handler in router.get('*', serveMyFiles)
void serveMyFiles(HTTPServerRequest req, HTTPServerResponse res)
{
   enforceHTTP("file" in req.form, HTTPStatus.badRequest, "No file
specified.");
   // don't just use raw input from the user, users can access
your whole filesystem with some hackery!!
   res.writeBody(readfile("/users/"~req.form["file"]));
}

```