Pre-import version statements

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Jul 20 18:19:27 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 20 July 2023 at 15:45:04 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 July 2023 at 06:44:30 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>
>> D has nothing equivalent to that. You compile your code with
>> whichever version of dmd (or ldc, gdc, etc.) that you want,
>> and it either compiles or it doesn't.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> As I developer that doesn't bother me too much, though I can
> imagine that management would be concerned.  For larger
> projects it's appreciated when I can point to a particular
> fixed standard that I'm following.  In addition to the
> `#define` statement above, my libraries were also compiled with
> `gcc -std=c99`.
>
> I'll move over to a compiler specific area and broach the topic.

This is one of the arguments for a LTS release. If you know you
can compile your code for, say, the next four years, including
dependencies, it's not likely to be a problem. If there's a new
compiler released eight times a year, there's no hope for that
kind of stability, particularly when there are any dependencies.