How does D’s ‘import’ work?

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Tue Jun 20 15:09:52 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 18 June 2023 at 21:51:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, June 18, 2023 2:24:10 PM MDT Cecil Ward via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> I wasn’t intending to use DMD, rather ldc if possible or GDC
>> because of their excellent optimisation, in which DMD seems
>> lacking, is that fair? (Have only briefly looked at dmd+x86
>> and haven’t given DMD’s back end a fair trial.)
>
> In general, dmd is fantastic for its fast compilation speed.
> So, it works really well for developing whatever software
> you're working on (whereas ldc and gdc are typically going to
> be slower at compiling). And depending on what you're doing,
> the code is plenty fast. However, if you want to maximize the
> efficiency of your code, then you definitely want to be
> building the binaries that you actually use or release with ldc
> or gdc.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Good point. I’m used to slow compilers on fast machines and
compiling gives me an excuse for more coffee and possibly fruity
buns. I’m incredibly impressed with LDC, GDC slightly less so, as
it sometimes calls runtime library routines where Ldc doesn’t.
Like in things to do with arrays, for one example.

I hate calls to runtime library routines unless they are really
substantial, mind you many calls to a modest-sized routine can
get you a hotter cache, and even micro-op cache, and keep the
whole code size down so as to improve cache overload or even
pollution.