Re: How does D’s ‘import’ work?

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 17:56:27 UTC 2023

On 6/20/23 08:09, Cecil Ward wrote:

 > I’m used to slow compilers on fast machines and compiling
 > gives me an excuse for more coffee and possibly fruity buns.

Yes, all of us in past projects accepted C++'s slowness. We did get
coffee, etc. One of my current colleagues regularly plays solitaire when
waiting for C++ compilations. Not only it's not a professional sight,
but C++ is proving to be a professional mistake.

Nobody should suffer from such context switches. I have a hunch, without
any backing research data, that C++'s contribution to humanity may be
net negative.

D is nothing like that: My turnaround is a few seconds: Write, compile,
run, see the effect... I use only dmd partly because of laziness: it
just works. Although I take full advantage D's low level powers, my
programs have mostly been I/O bound with huge files, so dmd's less-than
ideal optimization powers are hidden because most threads are waiting
for file system I/O.

Aside: std.parallelism and std.concurrency have been very helpful.

Ali