How does D’s ‘import’ work?

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Sat Jun 24 17:19:13 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 20 June 2023 at 17:56:27 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 6/20/23 08:09, Cecil Ward wrote:
>
> > I’m used to slow compilers on fast machines and compiling
> > gives me an excuse for more coffee and possibly fruity buns.
>
> Yes, all of us in past projects accepted C++'s slowness. We did
> get coffee, etc. One of my current colleagues regularly plays
> solitaire when waiting for C++ compilations. Not only it's not
> a professional sight, but C++ is proving to be a professional
> mistake.
>
> Nobody should suffer from such context switches. I have a
> hunch, without any backing research data, that C++'s
> contribution to humanity may be net negative.
>
> D is nothing like that: My turnaround is a few seconds: Write,
> compile, run, see the effect... I use only dmd partly because
> of laziness: it just works. Although I take full advantage D's
> low level powers, my programs have mostly been I/O bound with
> huge files, so dmd's less-than ideal optimization powers are
> hidden because most threads are waiting for file system I/O.
>
> Aside: std.parallelism and std.concurrency have been very
> helpful.
>
> Ali

In the 1980s on our VAX 11/750, compile jobs were batch jobs
placed in a queue. Half hour waits were not unknown. A build of
the new o/s we were working on took around 40 mins on a 33 MHz
386 Dell PC (later a 486!) iirc. So time for patisserie even. But
in oractice you simply got on with other jobs, like writing new
code that was not yet integrated, code reviews, all sorts of
things.