better video rendering in d

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Tue Mar 21 17:18:15 UTC 2023

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 04:57:49PM +0000, monkyyy via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> My current method of making videos of using raylib to generate screenshots,
> throwing those screenshots into a folder and calling a magic ffmpeg command
> is ... slow.
[...]

How slow is it now, and how fast do you want it to be?

One possibility is to generate frames in parallel... though if you're
recording a video of a sequence of operations, each of which depends on
the previous, it may not be possible to parallelize.

I have a toy project that generates animations of a 3D model
parametrized over time. It generates .pov files and runs POVRay to
generate frames, then calls ffmpeg to make the video.  This is
parallelized with std.parallelism.parallel, and is reasonably fast.
However, ffmpeg will take a long time no matter what (encoding a video
is a non-trivial operation).

Try to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out. -- theboz