Proper way to handle "alias this" deprecation for classes

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed May 10 20:25:48 UTC 2023

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 07:56:10PM +0000, Chris Piker via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> My problem with the terms lvalue and rvalue is much more basic, and is
> just a personal one that only affects probably 0.1% of people.  I just
> can't keep left vs. right straight in real life.  "Right" in my head
> always means "correct".
>
> My daughter hates it when I'm telling her which way to turn the car
> since I've said the wrong direction so many times. :)

I also suffer from left/right confusion, and always have to pause to
think about which is the right(!) word before uttering it. :-D  Would
compass directions be more helpful? (wvalue vs. evalue) Or would it
suffer from the same problem?

(One could retroactively rationalize it as *w*ritable value vs.
*e*phemeral value. :-P)

By understanding a machine-oriented language, the programmer will tend to use a much more efficient method; it is much closer to reality. -- D. Knuth