Help optimize D solution to phone encoding problem: extremely slow performace.

Renato renato at athaydes.com
Wed Jan 17 16:53:22 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 17 January 2024 at 16:30:08 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 07:19:39AM +0000, Renato via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: [...]
>> But pls run the benchmarks yourself as I am not going to keep
>> running it for you, and would be nice if you posted your
>> solution on a Gist for example, pasting lots of code in the
>> forum makes it difficult to follow.
>
> I can't. I spent half an hour trying to get ./benchmark.sh to
> run, but no matter what it could not compile benchmark_runner.
> It complains that my rustc is too old and some dependencies do
> not support it. I tried running the suggested cargo update
> command to pin the versions but none of them worked.  Since I'm
> not a Rust user, I'm not feeling particularly motivated right
> now to spend any more time on this.  Upgrading my rustc isn't
> really an option because that's the version currently in my
> distro and I really don't feel like spending more time to
> install a custom version of rustc just for this benchmark.

I've just updated the Rust version to the benchmark monitor could
work on Linux (it only worked on Mac before) :D that's probably
why your rustc didn't work, though as the project is still using
edition2018 I would've thought even a very old compiler would
have worked... anyway, if you ever find yourself actually using
Rust, you should use `rustup` (https://rustup.rs/) which makes it
trivial to update Rust.

About the "count" option: I had assumed you didn't call format on
the count option as it's never needed, there's nothing to print.