End of file: end of medium?

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Mon Apr 3 14:57:10 PDT 2006

In article <e0s3ct$1pk6$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Luís Marques says...

>The grammar for the lexical analysis contains:
>
>EndOfFile:
>physical end of the file
>\u0000
>\u001A
>
>I don't understand, what's a \u001A? Substitution? How does that work?
>Wouldn't you want something like \u0019, end of medium?

0x1A (or CTRL-Z or ASCII 26) is a holdover from CP/M, which Windows inherited
via DOS:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/16/90448.aspx

The 'copy' command that the article mentions works something like this:

c:\> copy con > foobar.txt

This will copy every keypress to the text file until you press CTRL-Z.  Its
actually pretty handy if you're repairing a system with a paperclip, a battery
and some duct-tape.

- EricAnderton at yahoo