End of file: end of medium?

Luís Marques luismarques+spam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 15:15:57 PDT 2006

In article <e0s5nm$1rpr$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, pragma says...
>0x1A (or CTRL-Z or ASCII 26) is a holdover from CP/M, which Windows inherited
>via DOS:
>
>http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/16/90448.aspx
>
>The 'copy' command that the article mentions works something like this:
>
>c:\> copy con > foobar.txt
>
>This will copy every keypress to the text file until you press CTRL-Z.  Its
>actually pretty handy if you're repairing a system with a paperclip, a battery
>and some duct-tape.

That's very interesting. I use CTRL-Z in several console programs but I didn't
know programs read that
as \u001A nor from where that convention came.

I still don't really grok the relationship between CTRL-[X] codes and
ASCII/Unicode, on unix and
windows, but I guess that's another story.

Which also makes me wonder, if it wasn't a type afterall, what's the purpose of
characters like \u0019.
The sites listing Unicode characters don't generally have much semantic
information on them.

Luís