D: A language without focus

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Thu Apr 27 01:05:17 PDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:31:12 -0700, Kyle Furlong wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Probably the biggest problem you mentioned is the documentation.
>> Fortunately, though, we now have Ddoc. I've been converting more of the
>> older documentation files over to Ddoc format, and discovered what I
>> expected: every one of the module documentation files either:
>>
>> 1) did not mention some of the functions
>>
>> 2) documented functions that did not exist
>>
>> 3) had documentation at odds with the code comments for the same function
>>
>> Ddoc, while not terribly sophisticated, is good enough to use, and it
>> offers an enormous step forward in making it easy to write and keep up
>> to date the documentation. It easily cuts the work in half, maybe more,
>> and it certainly makes it easy to enforce a common look & feel to the
>> documentation.
>>
>> Anyhow, I hear you. I welcome your help in any way you feel you can best
>> contribute.
>
> Really? If this is really true, and you welcome help, what shall we do?
> How is one supposed to help you if you do not have a list of things we
> can help you with?

For example Walter, can I send you Phobos modules with improved
documentation in them and no source code changes? What is the method you
use to accept Phobos source code changes? I presume you do a line-by-line
analysis and manually incorporate those lines you wish to.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)