D: A language without focus

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu Apr 27 02:22:33 PDT 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:31:12 -0700, Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Anyhow, I hear you. I welcome your help in any way you feel you can best
>>> contribute.
>> Really? If this is really true, and you welcome help, what shall we do?
>> How is one supposed to help you if you do not have a list of things we
>> can help you with?
>
> For example Walter, can I send you Phobos modules with improved
> documentation in them and no source code changes? What is the method you
> use to accept Phobos source code changes? I presume you do a line-by-line
> analysis and manually incorporate those lines you wish to.

On any Phobos changes, yes, I do a line by line check on any changes,
and do a manual merge.

Two areas that could use big improvements are in the Ddoc comments and
in the unit tests. For Ddoc in particular, usage examples for every
function are needed.

For unit tests, enough needs to be there to get 100% coverage as
verified by the D coverage analyzer. Having 100% coverage means that
it's much easier to improve the libraries without slipping into reverse.

I know there isn't much glory in either of those two tasks, but Ddoc and
the D coverage analyzer make them much easier, and they make the
difference between a professional and an amateur project.