D: A language without focus

John Demme me at teqdruid.com
Thu Apr 27 10:50:00 PDT 2006

gabe wrote:
[... Lots of stuff cut]

> I look forward to hearing from you!
> _________________
> New to the land of D, but I like the look of the place.
> -Gabe

It sounds to me like a project needs to be started with the goal of
producing a packaged D.  One file (with an installer) that includes:
-DMD (or GDC)
-build
-Ares + Mango
-A set of Ddoc macros to get some really nice documentation output
-Really nice looking and complete documentation
-Code examples, along with compilation instructions
-Integration of this software, where ever applicable

I might note that a lot of this stuff already exists, but it needs to be
packaged together!

IMO, Walter does a great job with DMD, but it's only one piece of the
puzzle, and we can't expect him to do much else (DMD alone is more than one
person can handle; good thing Walter's superhuman.)  A community needs to
work on putting together something presentable, that someone new to D can
download, install, and start using quickly.  All of the software included
needs to be independently verified as working, and thus might not be the
latest version, but it needs to work right off the bat.

Walter, if such a project was started, would you grant the project a
redistribution license for DMD?

Does anyone have any suggestions for other D software that should be
included?

~John Demme