Where the schedule of D development?

ElfQT ElfQT_member at pathlink.com
Fri Apr 28 06:50:56 PDT 2006

>..."Debugger, please."

Not even a debugger, only debugging info from the compiler.

I've stated earlier how I miss good debugging support. (I don't even want to
start on why unit testing, while it is great and powerful, isn't enough.)
Even I've tried to support a D debugging/debugger project, until it came clear
that the executables doesn't contain needed debug info (only source numbers and
some basic stuff).
And since the compiler is in Walter's hand, and backend is closed, there is no
other way to include debug info, only if he works on it.

I've never worked with compiler technology, and only scratched the surface with
debugging information in debug executables, I wonder what it takes to be able to
read/watch (all) D variables.

After that, to incorporate debugging into any tool/IDE seem a lesser problem to
me.

Unfortunately, I've never heard Walter on this topic, is this task a hard one,
or where the problem lies (I've heard codeview isn't a nice format, and the new
MS "pdb" format is kind of MS internal), or is there a way to contribute to
this..., is it planned after all ...
only different deflective opinions form the D community.

(And frankly, this is the one technical thing that keeps me from working with D
(again), and only dare to raise the question again, because I see similar
opinions.)