Loop iterator - example.txt

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Sat Apr 29 17:12:53 PDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:02:10 +1000, Bruno Medeiros
<brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com> wrote:

> In fact, the very idea seems like a very awkward idiom to me. I would
> like to examine a real example, can someone post one?

We use it in the area of retrying a database transaction after some sort
of exception condition has happened. It has nothing directly to do with
loop index maintenance.

In pseudo-code ...

    foreach (inout Customer cust; CustomerSet )
    {
        try {
        cust.name = UI.CustName;
        cust.address = UI.Address;
        . . .
        }
        catch (BadUI e)
        {
            // Recover from the (rare) UI data error
            . . .
            retry; // Reprocess the same customer record.

Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia