[Off Topic] Any "web applicaiton developers" out there?

Jason Mills jmills at cs.mun.ca
Sat Aug 12 06:02:38 PDT 2006

Hi,

This is extremely off topic, but this newsgroup is the one that I'm the
most familiar with, and all regular posters seem to be friendly and have
insights I respect, so I thought I would post it here.

I have an opportunity to change the type of software development I do
from developing desktop (some client/server) engineering/scientific
applications to developing web applications (J2EE, JSP, HTML, PHP,
Databases, etc). I'm doing some research to help determine if web
application development is for me.

If you are or were a web application developer, or have an interest in it:

- Do you enjoy that type development and why?

- Do you find web application development technically challenging? What
type of challenges do you face?

- What do you spend most of your time doing? HTML/CSS, programming
(Java, C#, PHP), SQL, managing databases, etc.?

- Do you see a strong future in web application development?

- Why are you attracted to D if you are web application developer?

If you are more like me (desktop applications, systems programming):

- Would you ever consider doing web application development? Why or why not?

One of my biggest fears is that I would lose my edge as a "hard core
programmer solving technically challenging problems". Is this a
legitimate fear?

Any other comments are welcome. If you have some resources you like to
share to help make my decision, please do so.

Thanks.

Jason