[Off Topic] Any "web applicaiton developers" out there?

David Gileadi foo at bar.com
Sat Aug 12 09:58:12 PDT 2006

Jason Mills wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is extremely off topic, but this newsgroup is the one that I'm the
> most familiar with, and all regular posters seem to be friendly and have
> insights I respect, so I thought I would post it here.
I'm not a regular poster, but I do web application development and I'm a
fan of D, so hopefully I qualify.  For some background, I've done web
development in several Java web frameworks, in .NET using C#, and in
old-fashioned ASP.  I've also done a couple of Flash applications,
communicating with a server via web services.  My non-web development
has been in Java/Swing, C++/MFC, some COM using ATL, some VBA, etc.

> I have an opportunity to change the type of software development I do
> from developing desktop (some client/server) engineering/scientific
> applications to developing web applications (J2EE, JSP, HTML, PHP,
> Databases, etc). I'm doing some research to help determine if web
> application development is for me.
>
> If you are or were a web application developer, or have an interest in it:
>
> - Do you enjoy that type development and why?
I do enjoy it--in the end, it's all development, and it's fun to solve
problems and make cool new things, which is why I enjoy development in
the first place.

> - Do you find web application development technically challenging? What
> type of challenges do you face?
It is definitely technically challenging.  There are three kinds of
challenges that I see:  With web applications you're always using some
kind of web framework, and so one challenge is figuring out the
frameworks and how to use them.  Another challenge is the same challenge
you face in any development--how to build a good architecture, solve
complex problems (some specific to the web), etc.  And a third challenge
is how to make a good friendly UI on the web, which simultaneously a lot
more flexible and a lot less flexible than the desktop.  Depending on
what you enjoy, some of these may appeal to you more than others.

> - What do you spend most of your time doing? HTML/CSS, programming
> (Java, C#, PHP), SQL, managing databases, etc.?
Most of my time is spent programming; less time (but still a significant
amount) is spent with HTML/CSS and a little time with SQL.  Of course
this depends on the frameworks you work with--some mandate more time
with HTML/CSS, some less--and of course on the kind of project you're
attached to.  Often companies will have a separate graphic designer who
creates the HTML and CSS for you, which you then have to alter to add
code to.

> - Do you see a strong future in web application development?
I do.  I've noticed a shift (and maybe it's my imagination, based on the
projects I've been on personally) from "traditional" web applications to
applications with little or no UI which allow companies to communicate
via web services.  But I think that "traditional" web apps are going to
be around for a long time.

> - Why are you attracted to D if you are web application developer?
First, it's just a very cool language, which (as Mango seems to prove)
could easily be used on the web; second, although I currently do web
programming I'd like to end up doing desktop development, which D is
perfect for.

> If you are more like me (desktop applications, systems programming):
>
> - Would you ever consider doing web application development? Why or why
> not?
>
> One of my biggest fears is that I would lose my edge as a "hard core
> programmer solving technically challenging problems". Is this a
> legitimate fear?
I think it's legitimate, depending on what you enjoy.  It's like moving
from MFC in C++ to WinForms in C#--the framework starts doing a lot for
you.  Web frameworks have similarly improved so that modern frameworks
handle a lot of the plumbing and you use built-in library functions to
do most of your work.  However, there are still the challenges of
building a good architecture and solving domain problems, as well as
web-specific issues such as scalability and session management, which
most frameworks don't tend to solve very well.  Those challenge are
satisfying to me, but it depends on what you enjoy about development.

> Any other comments are welcome. If you have some resources you like to
> share to help make my decision, please do so.
Good luck on whatever you choose.  I hope my comments have helped; if
not, please forgive me for spamming the board.