When is it time for a 1.0 feature freeze?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 02:53:49 PDT 2006

Among the many as-yet-unfulfilled prerequisites for being ready for 1.0
is coming to a final decision on the feature set.

On releasing 0.93, Walter stated:

"Barring a very, very, compelling case, this is it for 1.0 language
features.  There are a lot more things I want to do, but this has got to
be enough for 1.0."

However, there have been lots of new features since then.  And as new
features are added, it opens the door to more bugs and more
imperfections in the spec.

I think that sometime soon, we should finally make it more firm that
"this is it for 1.0 language features".  Once this is done, then we can
finally concentrate more on fixing compiler bugs and getting the spec up
to scratch (both cleaning up spelling/grammar and cleaning up what is
ill-defined) without having to worry too much about creating even more
work for ourselves in the process.

Stewart.