When is it time for a 1.0 feature freeze?

Søren J. Løvborg web at kwi.dk
Mon Aug 21 08:15:56 PDT 2006

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> I think that sometime soon, we should finally make it more firm that "this
> is it for 1.0 language features".  Once this is done, then we can finally
> concentrate more on fixing compiler bugs and getting the spec up to
> scratch (both cleaning up spelling/grammar and cleaning up what is
> ill-defined) without having to worry too much about creating even more
> work for ourselves in the process.

The only thing I can think off that should be fixed before 1.0 is the "auto"
keyword.

It's current double meaning is a mess, and it needs to be defined as either
a RAII or a type deduction keyword (and another keyword/syntax needs to be
introduced for the other meaning.)

I'm leaning towards making "auto" mean type deduction, and introduce another
keyword ("raii"? Unlikely to break old code, I'd venture) for RAII
allocations.

That'd be a change from the C meaning of "auto", but so is the D meaning of
"typedef" (since C's "typedef" is D's "alias"), and "auto" is practically
never used in C, even.

Søren J. Løvborg
web at kwi.dk