When is it time for a 1.0 feature freeze?

Fredrik Olsson peylow at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:45:39 PDT 2006

Søren J. Løvborg skrev:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> I think that sometime soon, we should finally make it more firm that "this
>> is it for 1.0 language features".  Once this is done, then we can finally
>> concentrate more on fixing compiler bugs and getting the spec up to
>> scratch (both cleaning up spelling/grammar and cleaning up what is
>> ill-defined) without having to worry too much about creating even more
>> work for ourselves in the process.
>
> The only thing I can think off that should be fixed before 1.0 is the "auto"
> keyword.

I can also think of allowing properties as lvalue:
foo.bar += 42;

Array literals:
bar ~= [1,5,42];

Struct literals:
baz = {"hej", 42};

Those and the lack of sets and ranges are top on my list. The small
stuff that can reduce code size in half. The only 100% foolproof way to
write bug-free code is; not to write any. So the closer to no code, the
better :).

// Fredrik Olsson