D and FreeBSD

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Aug 30 23:28:51 PDT 2006

Jona Joachim wrote:

>>It should have worked out of the box, using GNU Make ? ("gmake")
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't work out of the box. There are always small
> changes that have to be made when porting to FreeBSD.

Yeah, isn't that always the case ? :-) (well, I tried my best...)
Need to get around to setting up that FreeBSD environment some day.

> For example FreeBSD people tend to add version numbers to executables so
> that you can install multiple versions of a software in parallel.
> wx-config becomes wxgtk2-2.6-config. The good part is that you don't
> really have to worry about this: if you don't define the WX_CONFIG
> variable it will be defined automatically by the ports framework if you
> tell it that you plan to use wxWidgets.

That is why I introduced the WX_CONFIG parameter, so that any platforms
that deviate from the standard wxWidgets name ("wx-config") can set it.

I have several wx configs, and wx-config is a symlink to the one I use ?

> Furthermore the FreeBSD port of gdc doesn't come with gdmd. That's why I
> had to set DMD=gdc. I will change the syntax of the parameters.

OK, so the FreeBSD port sounds broken (it should ship the gdmd wrapper)

Still, for my Makefiles to work - you should use DMD=gdmd or DC=gdc...

> Also there is no command called arch in FreeBSD so
> ARCH=$(shell (arch 2>/dev/null || echo i386) | sed -e s/i.86/x86/ )
> becomes
> ARCH=$(shell (uname -m) | sed -e s/i.86/x86/ )

Yeah, this why I did that || song-and-dance routine in the first place.
You see, `uname -m` returns "Power Macintosh" (!) here so it is useless.

I think I will go with `arch 2>/dev/null || uname -m || echo i386`

> A lot of small changes like these have to be made.

Thankful for any patches you have, I do want wxD to work on FreeBSD too.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=729441&group_id=133831&func=browse

--anders