D and FreeBSD

Jona Joachim jaj13 at web.de
Thu Aug 31 06:43:30 PDT 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:28:51 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Jona Joachim wrote:
>
>>>It should have worked out of the box, using GNU Make ? ("gmake")
>>
>> Unfortunately it doesn't work out of the box. There are always small
>> changes that have to be made when porting to FreeBSD.
>
> Yeah, isn't that always the case ? :-) (well, I tried my best...)
> Need to get around to setting up that FreeBSD environment some day.

That can be dangerous, perhaps you will like it so much that you will
stick with it ;)

>> For example FreeBSD people tend to add version numbers to executables so
>> that you can install multiple versions of a software in parallel.
>> wx-config becomes wxgtk2-2.6-config. The good part is that you don't
>> really have to worry about this: if you don't define the WX_CONFIG
>> variable it will be defined automatically by the ports framework if you
>> tell it that you plan to use wxWidgets.
>
> That is why I introduced the WX_CONFIG parameter, so that any platforms
> that deviate from the standard wxWidgets name ("wx-config") can set it.

Perhaps you should check if WX_CONFIG is set and only set it if it is not
already set because the way it is now you overwrite the WX_CONFIG
variable. Perhaps you could do the same for the MAKE variable.

> I have several wx configs, and wx-config is a symlink to the one I use ?

I always had a symlink from sdl11-config to sdl-config but I nearly forgot
some patches when porting SGE because of this so I decided to remove the
symlink.

>> Furthermore the FreeBSD port of gdc doesn't come with gdmd. That's why I
>> had to set DMD=gdc. I will change the syntax of the parameters.
>
> OK, so the FreeBSD port sounds broken (it should ship the gdmd wrapper)

I checked again to be sure. It only installs the gdc and cc1d binaries.

>> A lot of small changes like these have to be made.
>
> Thankful for any patches you have, I do want wxD to work on FreeBSD too.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=729441&group_id=133831&func=browse

I put my FreeBSD specific patches here:
http://webplaza.pt.lu/~mpjjjjsj/files/wxD/patch-wxd-Makefile
http://webplaza.pt.lu/~mpjjjjsj/files/wxD/patch-wxd-wx-Makefile
http://webplaza.pt.lu/~mpjjjjsj/files/wxD/patch-wxd-wxc-Makefile

Here is also the Makefile of the port in case you're interested:
http://webplaza.pt.lu/~mpjjjjsj/files/wxD/Makefile
Strangely I have to rename the GNUmakefiles to Makefile because gmake
doesn't find them otherwise when run from the port. Perhaps it is called
with -f Makefile, I don't know.

Furthermore
$(INSTALL) -p *.d $(libdir)/d/wx/
doesn't work:

install -p *.d /var/tmp/wxd/lib/d/wx/
install: wrong number or types of arguments
usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
               [-o owner] file1 file2
       install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
               [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
       install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

I tried
$(INSTALL) -p `ls -1 | grep -v Makefile` $(libdir)/d/wx/
but it returns the same error.

Jona