D and FreeBSD

Jona Joachim jaj13 at web.de
Thu Aug 31 15:40:59 PDT 2006

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 00:29:57 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Jona Joachim wrote:
>
>> I corrected some stuff. The port should now build and install correctly.
>>
>> Here is a gzipped tarball of the port:
>> http://webplaza.pt.lu/~mpjjjjsj/files/wxd.tar.gz
>
> Thanks for the files. The patches and the workarounds should not
> be needed with wxD 0.08 (wonder about the DESTDIR changes though,
> those shouldn't really be necessary, will have to investigate it)

There was a big discussion recently about the implementation of DESTDIR on
the FreeBSD ports mailing list. The current implementation is problematic
in some situations [1] and it's not trivial to implement it right.
Contributors were told to wait a bit until they make their ports DESTDIR
aware [2].

I have one more question concerning unicode support in wxWidgets/wxD. When
I built the wxD samples using the non-unicode version of wxWidgets I got
errors concerning encoding when I tried the HTML example programs. I tried
to build it using the unicode version and all errors went away. I just
have to specify
WX_UNICODE=	yes
in the port's Makefile to use the unicode version. This changes WX_CONFIG
from wxgtk2-2.6-config to wxgtk2u-2.6-config.

Do you think wxD should use the unicode version per default or do you
think the user should choose if he wants to use unicode or not?

[1] http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20060814234414.GA57035
[2] http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?44E35E5A.1090306