Python-like tabs instead of curley brackets?

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:06:22 PST 2006

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Daniel Giddings escribió:
>> Get an editor that understands Python ;-) Most will either use
>> whatever that code block uses, or highlight the problem indentation in
>> bright red.
>>
>> Personally I much prefer the Python way of doing indentation, after
>> all you indent your code anyway making the curly braces somewhat
>> redundant (and I program about equally in C/C++ and Python).
>
> And I found all the people who don't like indent blocks is people that
> doesn't use them for too long. Sure at first is horrible, shocking, but
> when you get used to, there's no way back.
>
> Bracket (and sentence terminators) are syntactic noise[1].
>
> [1] http://xlr.sourceforge.net/concept/synnoise.html

A friend of mine spent four years or so of his life up to his waist in Python, as the
maintainer and new feature developer of a popular bittorrent client.  (Trying to avoid
names here... :))  When the original developer became interested in taking back his
project, my friend was only too happy to give it to him and go back to C.

Personally, I only touched Python for about a year and a half and found it too difficult
for myself to work with.  I guess I'm just too darn dependant on visual cues and layout
aesthetics to make it easier to read my code.  I'll take my flexibility-offering noise any
day.  Even Pascal-like begin/end keywords don't bother me.  (Not even LambdaMOO's
IF...ENDIF, FOR...ENDFOR, etc.  At least they're darn clear. ;))

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls