MIT Technology Review: An Interview With Bjarne Stroustrup

Sun Dec 10 15:34:41 PST 2006

zz wrote:
> I wonder what would happen if dlmalloc was used as the base allocator in
> Ares or Phobos, would there be any improvement? (I just messed thing up
> when playing with phobos but will look into it again as for Ares the
> dsource site seems to be having problems).

For Phobos, I don't think it would make much of a difference. AFAICT it
doesn't use malloc at all, except for COM objects. It requests pages
directly from the OS instead.
So unless you use a lot of COM objects the difference will be negligible.
IIRC Ares uses essentially the same GC so the same would apply.