Deprecate C style declerations?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Dec 20 16:13:00 PST 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Chris Nicholson-Sauls" <ibisbasenji at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:emcekr$2sah$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> Should we do this?  As in cause:
>>
>> # int foo[];
>> # int bar*;
>>
>> And others to issue deprecation errors.  I think it would be a good idea,
>> and shouldn't break extern(C) declarations, so long as one doesn't try to
>> mix types.  (I don't think we can mix them in the C way at all, anyhow.
>> Haven't tried, though.)
>
> I agree, though

The syntax of static multidimensional arrays is better using C-style I
think:

int[2][3][4] a; //  means a[3][2][1] is max legal index

int a[2][3][4]; //  means a[1][2][3] is max legal index

I hope D gets real multidimensonal arrays eventually though.  Then the
need for all those brackets will go away and you'll just have:

    int[2,3,4] a;

In the mean time I've just started www.dsource.org/projects/multiarray
to which I will soon upload the ndarray code I've been working on.

--bb