Deprecate C style declerations?

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 16:54:03 PST 2006

"Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote in message
news:emcjig$30qo$1 at digitaldaemon.com...

> The syntax of static multidimensional arrays is better using C-style I
> think:
>
> int[2][3][4] a; //  means a[3][2][1] is max legal index
>
> int a[2][3][4]; //  means a[1][2][3] is max legal index

That's true.  In fact, I think there's a flag in the DMD frontend to make it
so that the D-style

int[2][3][4] a;

would have a max index of [1][2][3].  But that goes against the
right-to-left rule of declarations..

> I hope D gets real multidimensonal arrays eventually though.  Then the
> need for all those brackets will go away and you'll just have:
>
>    int[2,3,4] a;

Though they are two different concepts.  If you need a contiguous block of
memory which can be accessed with more than one dimension, then a
rectangular array is just what you need.  But for most other applications,
arrays of arrays are fine, and resizing rectangular arrays is kind of a pain
so..