Walter's annoying habits

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 17:59:01 PST 2006

What is is with you people?  OK, so a few of you did start to take it
seriously in the end.  But still, what is all the joking about?

I intended this to be a serious, potentially constructive criticism of
Walter's way of operating.  The points I made generally have something
in common: they can be helped, at least to an extent, with a bit of effort.

The fact that Walter is only one person of course cannot be helped.
That he's decided to do it practically single-handedly is of course
another matter.  But he isn't totally ignoring other people's
contributions, so it isn't a matter of wanting to do it with no help at
all.  On this basis, there ought to be more implementation of both ideas
and fixes from users than there would be otherwise, as he doesn't have
the overhead of coordinating the efforts of his internal development team.

Moreover, by postponing certain things, he's actually creating more
overhead for himself.  See

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/announce/960.html
(in particular, my first followup)

And to those bringing up the statement that we haven't paid for this
product, in a sense we have.  We've paid with the time spent evaluating
D and DMD, reporting bugs and offering suggestions.

Moreover, freedom of speech doesn't come at any price.  If somebody came
back from town and reported that there was a lot of anti-social
behaviour or something of that ilk going on, would you tell them to shut
up because they haven't paid for the privilege of walking through town?

Stewart.