Walter's annoying habits

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Dec 22 04:01:59 PST 2006

Manfred Nowak wrote:
>> I intended this to be a serious, potentially constructive
>> criticism of Walter's way of operating.
>
> It is a known phenomenon in organizations, especially charity
> organizations, that all attributions to persons considered to be
> leading characters of the organization will immediately bring up
> all toadies of that organization against the attributor.

Ionno. I might have a wrong or simplistic image of the situation, but to
me things are simple: Walter is creating a product. He is motivated
mainly by community building and approval. The community uses his
product and provides useful feedback and suggestions for improvements.
In doing so, they invest time and talent in the product to various degrees.

The question is, how much improvement comes from a specific member of
the community, and what amount of entitlement should derive from that? I
don't know much about the historical contributions that people have made
to D, but my perception (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that Walter
holds an overwhelmingly high percent of the shares. In that case, it's
hard to make the case that a community member can behave as if Walter
owes him something.

Andrei