Coolest D features

Waldemar waldemar at wa-ba.com
Wed Dec 27 02:37:44 PST 2006

== Quote from Mike Parker (aldacron71 at yahoo.com)'s article
> Bill Baxter wrote:
> > I wholeheartedly agree with Waldemar, though, that the things that are
> > going to sway C/C++ folks are different from what's going to sway
> > Java/C# folks.  D's library and development tools are still rather
> > anemic, so most likely that would send most Java/C# folks running.  On
> > the other hand, if they find they need to deliver an app that works
> > stand-alone, independent of a 100MB runtime environment, or one which
> > runs at native speed, then D is probably the closest thing they're going
> > to find to their beloved Java/C# that can do the job.
> >
> Being a long time Java programmer, I strongly disagree with you and
> Waldemar both. Speed is only an issue for people who don't use Java, or
> for those who don't really know how to properly write software with it.
> Most Java programmers I know, myself included, call the "Java is slow"
> mantra a myth. Java *used to* be slow, true. Today, it's possible to
> code a clunky app in Java if you don't know what you are doing. But the
> reality is that it's plenty fast in the general case. Plus, Java

Actually, the reality is Java is plenty slow in many applications. There is JNI
for a reason.  Never mind cases where Java is not even considered (fast servers,
OS internals, communication, graphics, driveres, embedded, etc, etc.)  As soon as
Java reaches C/C++ speed, C++ will disappear.  Not too worry, won't happen any
time soon.

Having said that, there is always a danger that Sun develops "low level Java" with
performance truly matching C++.   If that happens D might as well close the shop.
 Same thing with C#.  MS can definitely do it.  At the moment they go with this
"safer" C/C++ with many custom libs and features.  But you can feel it's just one
more step, so watch out.