Coolest D features

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Sat Dec 30 14:11:01 PST 2006

Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
> Serg Kovrov wrote:
>> Jeff wrote:
>>
>>> I am not very impressed by Python's docs.  The best docs that I've
>>> seen are the PHP docs because of commenting and excellent examples.
>>
>> Second that.
>>
>> PHP docs are well organized. Personally, I find it extremely
>> intuitive. As far as I remember, it takes near no time to find what I
>> want without knowing exact names or using search.
>>
>> Contrarily, Python docs are plain hell to work with.
>>
> I cannot count the number of times I've filled up a full instance of
> Firefox with a dozen tabs or so, all open to PHP doc files.  It is
> indeed intuitive.  (And the comments are often just as useful as the
> docs themselves!  For example: PHP has no is_assoc() to go along with
> is_array()... but look at the comments for the docs on is_array() and
> you can find a few examples of is_assoc() implementations right there.)
>
> I'd be quite jolly to see a similar approach to the D docs, along with
> the "as of version X" descriptors, etc.

Picture this: two guys, each with their own web site, compete on world
dominance on D documentation customer satisfaction. One is an absolute D
guru and an average PHP programmer, the other is an absolute PHP guru
and an average D programmer. Who'd you bet on? My bet's on the latter.

It's the infra that counts. But I'll come back to this once I've sobered
up from the D 1.0 champagne which I'll drink to instead of the New Year.
Too bad my local store doesn't carry Bollinger. ;-)