Intel Based Macs and DMD?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Feb 24 11:04:21 PST 2006

John Reimer wrote:

> But doesn't Darwin have a Linux compatibility layer equivalent to
> FreeBSD?  It may be easier to get DMD working on Darwin then we realize
> now that Intel is the processor base.  GDC is good, but DMD would be
> better for this machine for a number of reasons.

Not that I know of*, but NetBSD could run Darwin binaries I think ?
(i.e. the other way around) I don't have any Intel Mac yet though...

All I've seen for Mac OS X are *source-level* compatibility layers.
Not like http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/linuxemu.html

BTW:
Darwin has been "universal" from the beginning, and even before that.
(OS X hasn't, offically) http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

--anders

* there are some wild such rumors flying around for Mac OS X 10.5,
   possibly even including Windows support (like the WINE project)