Intel Based Macs and DMD?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:23:09 PST 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> John Reimer wrote:
>
>> But doesn't Darwin have a Linux compatibility layer equivalent to
>> FreeBSD?  It may be easier to get DMD working on Darwin then we
>> realize now that Intel is the processor base.  GDC is good, but DMD
>> would be better for this machine for a number of reasons.
>
> Not that I know of*, but NetBSD could run Darwin binaries I think ?
> (i.e. the other way around) I don't have any Intel Mac yet though...
>
> All I've seen for Mac OS X are *source-level* compatibility layers.
> Not like http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/linuxemu.html

That was the case when Mac OS X was on PowerPC for sure.  But I was
hoping the linux-compat package would be popularized/fixed with the
release of Intel Macs.  From the googling I've done, though, it appears
that you are right about this.

> BTW:
> Darwin has been "universal" from the beginning, and even before that.
> (OS X hasn't, offically) http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

Yes, I know this, Anders. But it's not until Intel Macs came out that
this had any relevance for most people.  Darwin on Intel, as far as I
know, wasn't extremely popular.  Now it has raison d'être.

> --anders
>

> * there are some wild such rumors flying around for Mac OS X 10.5,
>   possibly even including Windows support (like the WINE project)

You mean something like this?

http://darwine.opendarwin.org