D Change Proposals

John Reimer John_member at pathlink.com
Sun Jul 16 12:06:33 PDT 2006

In article <e9dkp4$pmo$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Bruno Medeiros says...

>"Managing Walter"? You incorrectly assumed these proposals where be made
>so that Walter would decide upon them, or even look at them. I'm fully
>aware that it most certainly will have little to zero impact on Walter.
>It was my mistake to not explicit mention that in my DCP post, but I had
>stated that before in other thread. Quote:
>"[...] the wiki could be used as a repository for summaries of the
>current "discussion state" of design features/peeves/issues. [...]. Even
>if Walter doesn't pay attention to it (which is expected) it helps a bit
>to the community to know what is the current status, and the opinion of
>the rest of the community members."
>from news://news.digitalmars.com:119/e3ae4v$2o1t$1@digitaldaemon.com .

Ah, fair enough. I give you that.  So you made your intention clear elsewhere.
What good then are these masses of proposals and opinions if they contribute to
no likely result?  I suppose it's just an opportunity for everybody to enjoy
themselves.  Well, have fun, then.  But I'm sorry you feel the need to do that
here since the perception of what it is designed to accomplish is entirely
ambiguous.

>Again the notion that one's opinion is only valid according to the
>proportion of his contribution to D... This is just so downright silly,
>that I'm not sure I want to try to convince otherwise.
>Suffice to say, if that was the case, then the opinions from the guys
>from the usenet C++ newsgroup would be worthless, as they contributed
>nothing to D. (Yet those guys, those wise guys, are the ones Walter pays
>most attention to.)

You are correct... this has nothing to do with validity of opinion!  Read a
little deeper.  It has to do with the value, maturity, and effect of opinion or
proposal, as it comes from a certain source.

You make the assumption that I include everyone in the same category, in regards
to whose opinions count.  I do not.  Do not try to generalize my case.  My
recommendation was not to others.  It was to you, specifically.  I suggested
that you would do well to help out in another way, since I believe your
suggestions right now are not aiding D in any way. Please listen. You can
contribute so much more effectively in other ways.

-JJR