Is D 0.163 D 1.0?

Peter C. Chapin pchapin at sover.net
Sun Jul 23 18:41:49 PDT 2006

Reiner Pope wrote:

> Not trying to be too argumentative here, but I obviously disagree with
> what you said, otherwise I wouldn't have said it in the first place. The
> problem is that the more *big* releases you make, the less interest
> people take in the language, so it's a good idea too catch their
> interest from the start. I disagree that "1.0" means first cut, because
> in many OSS projects (which D effectively is), version numbers don't get
> to 2.0 or beyond. IMHO it really means, "we've got a complete product
> now, you should have no problems with it."

I guess it depends on how one looks at these things.

Designing a library that works well takes time and, ideally, lots of
real world experience with prototypes. It's hard to accumulate that
experience, it seems to me, before the language has stablized. Requiring
D v1.0 to be a stable language *and* to have an extensive library might
take more time than would be good (although, honestly, I'm not that
familiar with the extent of what's available right now in the way of D
libraries). Long delays before a 1.0 release might turn some people off
as well.

Peter