GUI library

freeagle freeagle at inmail.sk
Fri Jul 28 03:21:01 PDT 2006

Anders Runesson wrote:
> I have something like this in the works, for my own humble 3d engine. I
> haven't gotten very far, just opening windows and some basic event
> handling. I will be happy to share it with anyone interested.
>
> It's bsd-style licenced, which should be liberal enough for anyone.
>
> I am primarily using linux, so the code is very x11-centric right now,
> but I have been meaning to make it portable. I just don't have a clue
> about windows programming :)
>
> It is very rough, and I haven't even thought about threading yet. But
> feel free to have a look. It is available at www.runesson.info.
>
> /Anders
>
> fre 2006-07-28 klockan 01:33 +0200 skrev freeagle:
>> Hello D community.
>>
>> I joined a while ago a talk at d.D.dwt about future of DWT and other
>> possible GUI toolkits. There were many opinions, but there was one that
>> I liked the most - making a cross platform GUI library that would use
>> OpenGL as a renderer. I know there was a project called Terra, but it
>> seems that it went down. So i decided i could make something similar. It
>> would be multithreaded lib from ground up because of the way openGL
>> works with multiple windows. I dont want to make any official
>> announcement of a development taking place until I ask the D community
>> if it would welcome such effort. And what would you like it to be
>> capable of. I have my own ideas, but i dont want to make something that
>> pleases me, but will be refused by majority of the devs.
>>
>> freeagle

I already have coded something like you, singlethreaded too. But i
realized its very performance limiting when you try to open more than
one openGL window in a single thread. Switching to multithreading will
make the coding harder, but i think it has more pros than cons, much
more. And with the upcoming era of dual, quad, multi core CPUs... Only
difference is that for now i have code for win32 only. But i tried to
design it with other platforms in mind since the beginning. And thank
you, ill surely look at your project. I, on the other hand,  dont have
much exp with X11 coding :)