DMD buggy optimizing

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Sat Jun 3 19:41:52 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

> The D optimizer is the same one as the DMC++ one that has been around
> for 20 years and several hundred thousand users. I run across an actual
> optimizer bug maybe once a year now. D benefits a lot from its maturity.

I think the DMD optimizer is great for integer stuff, especially
considering the great performance of the compiler itself. My only
complaints are that for some/many floating point operations, the FP
registers are not used as they could be. This is frustrating especially
since D does not have to live by any of the C/++ "excess precision"
rules (so it should make as much use of the 80 bit registers as possible).

3 reasons I care: I'd like to flip the -O switch and know I'm getting
great code generated whether or not it's int or FP. Also, I don't want
to spend a lot of time tweaking things. The other reason is I don't want
DMD (and by extension D) to be unreasonably dismissed because of some
perceived issue in this area.